The season of Advent has arrived. And while many of the retail stores want American consumers to think that it fine to start thinking about Christmas as early as October, Christians in America know that the spiritual preparation for the birth of the Savior begins this weekend. The arrival of Advent is the church’s way to help prepare the hearts and minds for the real meaning of the season.
Although many people think about the hottest technology gifts when it comes to the holiday season, many churches across the country help congregation members connect with members of the community who are the most in need. From hosting blood drives to promoting Red Cross clothing pickup events, churches are often the way that many people with much connect with those people who have too little.
Red Cross Clothing Pickup Drives During the Winter Help Families Get Ready for the Holidays
Used clothing donations are a real resource for families who are trying to make ends meet. Especially when it is time to make sure that they have at least some presents for their children, holidays can be a difficult situation for families who are living paycheck to paycheck. Facing the long days when the children are not at school where they typically get free or reduced lunches can be a significant challenge. For this reason, both food and clothes donations can help families make it further on their limited income.
Consider some of these statistics about the many ways that charities like the American Red Cross help those in need, as well as they impact America’s economy:
- 70% of people in American give to charity every year.
- Americans throw away an average of 10 pounds of clothes a person each year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These are clothing that could have served a better purpose like being donated or being recycled.
- 3% of American income is given to charities each year.
- Red Cross clothes donations and other centers help get needed items to families who are looking for a little extra help.
- Donations to selected charities are tax deductible for the value of the items that are donated.
- 63% of donors with the highest net worth indicate that giving back to the community is a chief motivation for their giving.
Advent is here and before you know it Christmas day will arrive as well. If you want to find a meaningful way to get ready for one of the most important religious holidays, maybe it is time that you consider making donations to a Red Cross clothing pickup center.
Refernce materials. Reference links.