For 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, the American Red Cross provides relief for communities by providing shelter, food, water and blankets among many essentials to individuals and families in need of a helping hand.
The American National Red Cross is the 13th largest charity in the United States as ranked by private donations. It received $687 million in 2014 in private donations.
Seventy percent of Americans donate to charity and about 3% of income is donated. From canned goods and pints of blood to used clothing donations and bedding, the Red Cross takes all sorts of donations. The need for donations is constant and there are many benefits to donating:
- It goes to good causes: The Red Cross says 91 cents of every dollar it spends is invested in humanitarian services and programs.
- Making use of old clothes: The EPA says Americans throw away an average of 10 pounds of clothes per person every year. Those who donate clothes to Red Cross are helping to make a difference. Many communities have clothing donation centers to donate clothes to Red Cross and other organizations and will accept many forms of gently used clothing for donations.
The Red Cross also partners with GreenDrop, which raises money for clothing and other essentials. It converts donated items into money by accepting clothing donations such as hats, coats, swimsuits and other items.
- It’s tax deductible: A donation is a selected charity is tax deductible for the value of the items donated.
- A chance to give back: More than 60% of high net worth donors choose giving back to the community as their main reason for donating and value of helping a person or people need can’t be measured.
- You make a difference: American Red Cross clothing donations and donations of blood or money go to help those in need and can make a real difference in the life someone in need. Donations made at a Red Cross pickup station help the Red Cross respond to almost 64,000 nationwide disasters a year.
- Workplace giving
- Major contributions
- Donating through a will
The American Red Cross provides many means of assistance to people in need and every monetary donation or item donation, big or small, goes a long way in helping those who need it. Making American Red Cross clothing donations is important and the choice to make those donations goes a long way toward helping people.
Making American Red Cross clothing donations to a local Red Cross pickup spot is a better way to get rid of old clothes instead of throwing them out. Americans consume nearly 20 billion garments a year, nearly one piece of clothing per week. By making used clothing donations to the Red Cross, you are insuring those items end up with people who need them.
Those who want to make American Red Cross clothing donations or are interested in making some other type of donation, can do so at RedCross.org. Visiting RedCross.com is also a good way to find the Red Cross pickup spot in your neighborhood or town.
There are many ways to give to the Red Cross as well. In addition to online donations or monthly donations, those interested in giving can donate by phone or by text or by mail. You can also donate in the following ways: