Amish furniture first gained attention in the 1920s, when early American folk art was “discovered”, and dealers and historians placed great value upon the beauty and quality of the pieces. Today it is still held in high regard due to its quality and the attention to detail paid by the craftsmen.
In a survey of more than 2,000 customers, more than 70 percent of respondents agreed that, “The design of my furniture reflects my personal statement. A lot can be said about a person from the furniture h/she owns.”
With its uniqueness, Amish furniture gives people a chance to show off their personality. Buying new furniture is a big investment and picking pieces that will last a long time is important. In a survey of 2,000 customers, 95.1 percent said they ‘expect furniture to last for many years and more than 90 percent of responders said they plan to keep wood furniture for at least 15 years.
From rocking chairs to benches to a picnic table and chairs, Amish wooden outdoor furniture can add a distinct look to your backyard. If you’re in the market for some Amish wooden outdoor furniture, here are some things to keep in mind and consider:
- The Amish are outdoor furniture specialists and 100 percent of Amish furniture is hand-crafted.
- Most Amish furniture is made from one of five types of wood: oak, cherry, maple, walnut and hickory. This gives you options when trying to choose the best one to fit the décor of your home or office.
- Make sure you know what you want. There are two types of Amish furniture: mission, which is plainer and shaker, which is the fancier option with carvings and designs being part of a piece’s structure.
- Because the Amish are outdoor furniture specialists, they take time to do things right. It usually takes about eight weeks to build new or custom Amish furniture.
- For those who like to buy local, buying Amish furniture supports many local Amish communities. Buying Amish furniture also means you’re buying American. The Amish are hardworking carpenters who are outdoor furniture specialists and know what they’re doing. When you buy Amish wooden outdoor furniture, you can feel satisfaction in knowing you bought something built on American soil.
- It’s hand assembled, saving you the frustration of trying to put together a piece yourself. Each piece of wood used to make Amish furniture is inspected carefully and is structurally sound as a result
- It’s easy to maintain, often requiring an occasional dusting or polish.
- It’s environmentally friendly. Since it’s made from wood, Amish furniture is biodegradable. The wood used to make Amish furniture is dried and stabilized prior to construction and it’s filled with some of the harmful chemicals found in mass-produced pieces. Amish furniture cuts down on pollution and because the Amish don’t use electricity, pneumatic and hydraulic tools are used to make it.
- Amish furniture is comparable in price to mass-produced furniture and sometimes costs even a little bit less, despite being higher quality.
- Buying Amish furniture helps the Amish. The Amish are outdoor furniture specialists who are proud of their culture and traditions. Buying furniture helps reaffirm their commitment to their work and culture.
- If you’re ordering Amish furniture online, expect to wait 12-16 weeks for your order. Ordering online also gives you a chance to be involved in the building process, selecting your wood, size, hardware and other features.
With a unique look and durability, adding hand-crafted Amish wooden outdoor furniture or adding a piece of Amish construction to your backyard can give your home a look or personality that suits you and your style.
Are you interested in buying Amish furniture? Are you looking to add an Amish garden shed or pool house to your property? Amish Direct Furniture and Country Side Amish Furniture can help you get started.